Updated: January 12, 2017
If you were born before 1990 (and perhaps after) you probably remember your dad sitting around the house on Monday night or Sunday afternoon with his goofy headphones stuck to his head, listening to “the big game.”
He probably had on a big clunky pair of red Sony headphones with a flexible antenna running down his shoulder. And regardless of the fact that you didn’t want to listen to the game it didn’t matter, because he had that thing cranked so high your neighbors could hear the play by play.
Well you know what they say, “Great things never die.” The AM FM Radio Headset is far from dead.
Below you’ll notice the first radio headset still retains a similar visual to the older radio headsets.
The big difference?
They don’t have paint chipping off the earphones, they aren’t so heavy your neck hurts, and the sound is just plain good. Oh, and let’s not forget the actual foam pad ear covers aren’t ripped to shreds.
Before we get to the top 10 list, there are a few things to note when viewing the list or shopping for headsets in general:
- Headphones/earbuds are not always included. We’ve never seen one without a headphone jack, but you may have to supply your own.
- AM/FM headsets are a thing of the past, and while we still love them a lot are being discontinued, which makes them more scarce and in turns raises the price.
- Not all the headsets have AM tuning ability. This is primarily with the newer wireless versions that will only tune to FM stations.
Top 10 AM/FM Sports Headsets in 2017
|1||Sony ICF38 Portable AM/FM Radio||Not Included||$||4.4|
|2||Sony ICF-S10MK2 Pocket AM/FM Radio||Not Included||$||4.4|
|3||Sony SRF-59 AM/FM Walkman Stereo Radio||Vertical On-Ear||$||4.3|
|4||Sony S2 Sports Walkman Digital Tuning AM/FM/Weather Armband Radio||Vertical In-Ear||$$||3.7|
|5||Sony SRF-H11 S2 Sports AM/FM Radio Walkman Headphones||Neckband On-Ear||$$||3.6|
|6||Sony Walkman Digital Tuning AM/FM Stereo||Vertical On-Ear||$$||4.3|
|7||Sony SRF-S84 FM/AM Super Compact Radio Walkman||Earbuds||$$||4.3|
|8||Bluedio Model B Wireless FM Headphones||Vertical On-Ear||$$||3.6|
|9||Memorex MR4402BK Sport Armband Digital AM/FM Radio With Earbuds||Earbuds||$$||3.4|
|10||Sony SRFH4 Analog Tuning AM/FM Headphone Radio||Vertical On-Ear||$$$$$||4.0|
Note: If you’re looking for a larger ear muff style AM/FM headset, then try these out. They’re perfect for stuff like yard work, just be careful using them around any traffic as they will block out a lot (if not all) of the noise.
Detailed Review of the Our Favorite AM/FM Headsets
Although the two headsets below ranked #10 and #6 respectively, they are 2 of our favorites.
Sony SRF-H4 Analog Tuning AM / FM Headphone Radio
Sony has been continuing with the SRF-H Series for decades. These are their tried and true radio headsets, and there is a reason they’re still around. They rock.
The Sony SRF-H4 Analog Tuning AM/FM Headphone Radio is no different than its predecessors.
- Weight: 6.1 ounces
- AM/FM Stereo analog tuner
- Double adjustable headband for comfort and fit
- Flexible antenna (with a sexy orange light reflector for safety)
- Runs on 1 AAA battery
What People are Saying
- Great for yard work during Sunday afternoon football
- Sony listened to their consumers and built some larger more comfortable ear pads
- There’s not a single dad that didn’t love these as a gift
- Perfect for tuning into the local high school game from the back porch
Sony SRF-H11 S2 Sports AM / FM Radio
The first thing you probably noticed about the Sony SRF-H11 S2 Sports AM/FM Radio Headphones was the look. These workout headphones look nothing like the previous 2. These may be more your style if you’re looking for the same functionality of a sports radio, but with a more modern look and fit.
- Weight: 8 ounces
- AM/FM analog tuner
- Local radio switch option
- Water resistant
- Weather Tuner
- TV Tuner
- Runs on 1 AAA battery
What People are Saying
- Show up your dad with your “new” school radio headphones
- After a few seconds running you don’t even know they’re there
- Use the TV tuner function to walk on the tread mill at your gym
- Don’t worry about sweating to much, they’re water resistant
We used to think AM/FM Radio headsets weren’t going anywhere, but unfortunately our 2015 update was the hardest yet. More and more are being discontinued, which is sky rocketing the price (which has a major impact on our rating system).
AM/FM apps are quietly taking over in this market, though we think a lot of the classics will be around for years to come.
You may have noticed that Sony still dominates this market, and if you’re looking for your first AM/FM headset, we’d recommend pretty much anything by them.
If you happen to have a pair that you use, and feel like should be on this list, make sure you leave a comment below and we’ll get it updated and possibly included.